I am a great fan of temporary tattoos since these are more convenient, inexpensive, painless, easy to use, and can be easily modified or removed. Remember, these tattoos only last long if you follow the various precautionary steps. In this post, I have explained the various ways by which you can make your tattoo last longer. I have followed some of the mentioned ways. Let’s scroll further to know the details.
How to Make Temporary Tattoo Last Longer?
Following are the steps which are needed to be followed before the application of the temporary tattoo so that your tattoo stays for a long period.
- Choosing the spot for tattoo: Choosing a suitable spot is the most initial step in getting a temporary tattoo. Areas like hands and feet which come in regular contact with the water should be avoided as it may cause the temporary tattoos to fade away easily. So, the best option is to choose the area which has minimal contact with the water.
Exception: The henna tattoo works well on hands and feet where the skin is thick.
- Cleaning the spot: It is very important to clear the area since it removes the extra dirt and oils from the skin. If you have applied the skin lotions, moisturizer, or creams, clean it before the application of the tattoo as the presence of these substances may smudge the ink on your skin. Cleaning can be done by taking a small amount of rubbing alcohol on the cotton pad or cleaning wipes to rub off the extra oils from the skin and to give your tattoos a neat and clean look. Make sure you don’t have any cut, existing skin allergies, rashes, or inflammation as it may worsen your skin problem. If you are allergic to the inks, then avoid getting temporary tattoos.
- Shaving: If you have hair on the selected spot, it is advisable to shave the area well. If your skin is highly sensitive avoid getting the temporary tattoos as they may cause some skin allergies or reactions.
- Testing: If you have no idea as to how your skin gonna reacts, then it better to test your skin before the application. Though temporary tattoos are more convenient and easy to use, it is advisable to test before proceeding further.
Following are the steps which are needed to be followed after the application of the temporary tattoos so that your tattoo stays for a long period.
- Use of talcum powder or baby powder: It is tested that the use of any talcum powder or baby powder is highly recommended after the application since it helps in removing the excess oils from the skin and to stick the ink on the skin for a longer duration of time. You just have to use a small quantity of the powder on the spot. It is advisable if you use a soft makeup brush to apply the powder to the area.
- Use of hairspray: Hairsprays are very useful in sticking the temporary tattoos on the skin for a longer period of time. Make sure you apply the spray from 12-16 inches away from the tattoo. Don’t forget to apply the baby powder before the application of hairspray for the best results.
- Use of liquid bandage: Liquid bandage can be easily availed at any nearby chemist shop. Application of the liquid bandage helps to stick the ink to the skin for a longer period of time.
- Use of balm, vaseline, and petroleum jelly: These items should be used once a day so that the tattoo sticks to the skin. In the case of the henna application, these items are very useful to darken the color of the tattoo.
- Use of sugar and lemon mixture: This mixture has to be used only in the case of the henna paste application. It has to be applied once the henna starts getting dry so that the dry henna becomes wet and sticks to the skin for a long time.
- Heating the area: This is only used in the case of the henna application. Once your henna starts drying out, heat the area over the stove, gas, heater, etc. so that spot gets warm which ultimately helps in the darkening of the henna tattoo. Avoid over-heating the area as it may cause sweating which may smudge the design.
- Applying the henna powder tattoo: To get the best results of the henna tattoos, you must apply the paste for at least 12 hours. The tattoo from the henna will be reddish-brown in color and not black.
- Avoid getting in touch with water: The temporary tattoos work really well on the areas which have minimal contact with the water. The water reduces the longevity of the temporary tattoos as it fades away the inks from the skin. So, it is advisable to choose the spot for the application carefully. Try to use the water in the area for at least 24 hours. But there is an exception to this as henna powder tattoos work well on the areas like hands and feet which have direct contact with the water but since the skin on these areas is thick so henna tattoos give the best results on these areas.
- Avoid using certain beauty products: Several beauty products like skin creams, body moisturizers, scrubs, lotions, and essential oils decrease the dryness of the skin and make it oily. These products should not be used on the areas where you have got the temporary tattoos as it may smudge the ink from the skin and which may result in the fading of the tattoo.
- Avoid using rubbing alcohol, nail paint remover, and sanitizers: It is advisable to avoid using these items on the areas where the tattoo is applied as the ink may fade away from the spot.
- Avoid working out: If you are a fitness freak person, then you may have to avoid your fitness routine till the temporary tattoos fade away naturally as the workout process may cause sweating and making the area wet. This may smudge the ink on the skin and thus affecting the longevity of the tattoo.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes: The reason behind wearing loose-fitting clothes is that your skin will not be rubbed against your dress which may not smudge or rub off the ink of the temporary tattoos from your skin. If you wear heavy tight-fitting clothes, the cloth will be rubbed against your tattoo and thus reducing its longevity.
- Avoid using black henna: To get the henna powder tattoo, it is advisable not to apply the black henna as it causes several chemicals which may cause some allergic reactions to your skin. Always use the natural green henna made from the plant Lawsonia.
- Avoid using the water for 24 hours: If you have applied the henna powder tattoo, stop getting in contact with the water for at least 24 hours for the best results.
- Avoid using sunscreens: Though the use is sunscreens is very useful as it protects us from the various UV rays, but try to avoid using it on the area where you have applied the temporary tattoos as it may cause the skin oily and greasy which will smudge off the ink from the skin.